Job Title: Development Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Director of Development
Date: March 2019
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
National Children’s Alliance (NCA) is the national association and accrediting body for Children’s Advocacy Centers (CACs). Formed in 1988, NCA has been providing support, technical assistance, and quality assurance for CACs, while serving as a voice for abused children for more than 25 years.
The Development Manager is a managerial position that provides management of key activities in support of achievement of the goals and objectives of NCA’s Annual Development Plan. The position executes organizational fundraising activities, with an emphasis on managing corporate and individual giving programs, as well as related prospecting, marketing, solicitation and stewardship activities. This position will manage a portfolio of individual, corporate and foundation prospects and the development of proposals, applications and letters of inquiry that will be assigned during each annual Development Plan period.
- Perform data collection, entry, and maintenance of the donor management system (DMS) as required
- Manage and execute logistics and activities related to individual giving programs, including:
- Program-level planning
- Donor retention and new donor acquisition
- Donor identification, solicitation and cultivation
- Execution of multi-channel, bi-annual giving campaigns and appeals
- Timely gift acknowledgment; and donor stewardship programs
- Collaboratively with the Communications function, develop and implement integrated messaging, marketing and communications to increase the engagement and contributions of individual and corporate donors
- Manage Combined Federal Campaign and relationship with federation vendor; devise strategies to grow support through program
- Carry a portfolio of individual and corporate prospects, partnerships, and donors that include prospect/funder research, LOI/proposal development, and communications with program officers as necessary
- Position will be expected to prepare a number of funding applications and/or other written proposals to prospective funders each year, including preparing major funding proposals.
- Coordinate and participate in Corporate Development Committee meetings
- Prepare reports and analysis using data from DMS regarding various giving programs; provide dashboard reports to the Development Director and leadership team with key metrics reflecting activities and progress toward Development Plan revenue targets
- Manage the National Corporate Partner Program including: prospecting, marketing, solicitation, agreement execution, benefit fulfillment and stewardship
- Manage conference-related development activities, including update of exhibitor/advertiser prospectus; solicitation of exhibitors, sponsors, and advertisers; execution and maintenance of sponsorship agreements; and ensuring proper on-site logistics and acknowledgement of supporters
- Manage the execution of departmental administrative activities to include, but not limited to;
- Prepare, deliver and track donor/funder correspondence
- Respond to donor and prospect inquiries as required.
- Maintenance of department master files of grant agreements, correspondence and other corporate documents related to grant seeking
- Administration and compliance of existing development agreements
- Maintain Development-related pages of the NCA website, linkages to external sites (e.g. CFC, Crowdrise, etc…) and other development related communications such as newsletter articles, fundraising brochures and other announcements
- Provide support and customer service to internal program staff related to development projects.
- Assist with recruitment, selection, training and supervision of department volunteers and/or interns, and development staff
- Manage state charitable registration process, direct mail vendors, grant-writers and other vendors engaged with the department
- Conduct presentations and engage at outreach events (CFC events, exhibits at conferences, training and program presentations and similar type activities)
- Serve as an engaged and involved team member, supportive of the varied experiences, and perspectives of internal and external colleagues.
- Provide quality customer service to internal team, NCA members, donors and other external customers
- Work within the team and among teams to ensure that decisions are made to further the organization’s goals.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience working in a nonprofit setting and three (3) years’ direct experience in fundraising/development
- Competence in project management, program level budgeting, project planning, meeting facilitation
- Proven record of successfully coordinating individual and corporate giving programs
- Proven record of securing individual, corporate and foundation gifts
- Good judgement and demonstrated skills in problem solving
- Experience in recommending and implementing departmental policies and procedures
- Experience in supervising direct staff and/or contracted staff/vendors
- Ability to multi-task and flexibility in shifting priorities based on changing work needs.
- Ability to handle a considerable workload in a fast-paced work environment
- Organized, detail oriented, with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work collaboratively in a team and work independently.
- Experience working with fundraising and prospect management databases (E-Tapestry preferred).
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word and Excel
- Experience working with email communications platforms such as Constant Contact, MailChimp, etc.
- Additional specific training or certifications in resource development/fundraising preferred
Work Environment/Physical Effort
- This work is primarily sedentary.
- Occasional Travel
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 15 pounds.
Please refer to the following instructions:
- Please email your resume, cover letter and a writing sample of a grant proposal or a proposal letter of inquiry (no more than two pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- When submitting your application via email, please title the subject line “NCA Development Manager”
- Please title all attachments using the following format: “last name, first initial_ document name NCA” (ex. Doe, J_Resume NCA or Doe, J_Writing Sample NCA)
No phone calls, please.