Director of Communications
Job Summary: Reporting to the Executive Director, and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Director of Communications will be responsible for the development of National Children’s Alliance communication strategy and will contribute to NCA’s organizational strategic planning process. The Director of Communications will develop a world-class communications plan for NCA, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation. The Director of Communications will be responsible for the development, integration and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual will be an ambassador for NCA and will need to build relationships with the media. The goal is to advance NCA’s position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization. The Director of Communications will be responsible for NCA’s varied and integrated communications products and services including: newsletters and other publications; web, e-news and other online communications; media and public relations; and marketing. This position also acts as a resource for our members through education, ongoing messaging and through public relations to support our advocacy and outreach efforts.Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, e-newsletters and e-blasts, social media, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media.
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing a comprehensive communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence.”
- Energetic, flexible, solution-oriented, and proactive. Able to manage contractors and vendors effectively.
- Maturity and excellent judgment; a leader who can positively and productively serve as a unifying force and position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, Board members, members, donors, and other supporters.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, NCA’s Board of Directors, and staff.
- Passion for NCA’s mission.
Salary range: Salary commensurate with experience. This position is Washington, DC based. Some travel may be necessary. The selected candidate must successfully complete a comprehensive background screening process.