Child Forensic Services Specialist
Working in a multidisciplinary team (MDT) environment, the full-time Child Forensic Services Specialist serves as the primary child forensic interviewer for the City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County and the backup interviewer for surrounding localities. The primary responsibilities of this position are to: (1) coordinate and conduct developmentally and culturally appropriate, evidence-based forensic interviews of children and adolescents alleging criminal maltreatment; (2) serve as an active, contributing member of the Charlottesville/Albemarle MDT, including organizing and managing the forensic interviewer peer review program; (3) serve as a victim advocate for children and families in the surrounding localities as needed; (4) provide intern training and supervision; and (5) assist in data entry/case tracking and grant reporting.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, counseling, social work, or a related field from an accredited university required; Master’s degree in counseling, social work, criminal justice, or a related field preferred.
- Previous training in one or more nationally-recognized, evidence-based forensic interview models/protocols (NCAC, NICHD, ChildFirst, APSAC, Cornerhouse) required.
- Minimum one (1) year experience conducting forensic interviews of children in response to allegations of sexual abuse and severe physical abuse required; previous experience in a children’s advocacy center, child protection, or working with a multidisciplinary child abuse team preferred.
- Knowledge of child development, specifically stages in cognitive, physical, moral and emotional developmental stages.
- Sensitivity to the needs and welfare of children and caregivers who have experienced physical and/or sexual maltreatment.
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions, while demonstrating discretion and good judgment in handling confidential matters and sensitive information.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain detailed case records and other documentation;
- Spanish fluency and ability to interpret is a plus.
For more information, go to: http://www.foothillscac.org/job-openings.html